Saturday, November 27, 2010

7 LittleThings People Tell You About Healing (That aren't true)

I've been healing since 2005 and I've always heard the same common lies about healers. There are things that are pure opinion and the rest is just pure false information. Well I've decided to clear the air about it all. Here we go!


You have died


7. Healing is just whack-a-mole!
  I find this statement funny because I see some 8 year old whacking his keyboard with a giant mallet. There is a lot more to healing than just watching life bars. You have to watch dispells, pay attention to your mana use, know when to drop healing cooldowns, and you have to keep that mage over there alive who thinks fire is a buff. 

6. Healers are super easy to play.
  Ha! This statement has been true and false in the past. I however like to think it takes intermediate skills to play a healer well enough to raid. When you are a raid healer you have to watch basically everything that's going on as well as watch life bars. You also have to be prepared for someone to aggro an extra trash pull or pull aggro in a heroic. These thing can be hard on someone who hasn't been healing long. I feel that it takes a good while to fall into the the pattern of doing them, then you are on your way to being an awesome raid healer.


5. Healers don't have to learn fights. 
  This couldn't be further from the truth. We have to learn fights the same way DPS and tanks do. We just learn them in a slightly different way. We have to know where the large spiky raid damage will come from. We have to know if there are things to dispell that are good or bad. You have to know if there will be things dps will stand in and when a good spot to battle res someone would be. We have to learn just as much as DPS do and in some cases even more. (Dreamwalker)




4.Triage isn't fun. 
  Some of you have been hearing this term over and over the past few months. I've always referred to it when it comes to WoW. Lets define what Triage is before we go further into this topic. Triage:a process of determining the priority of patients' treatments based on the severity of their condition. Now lets put that in wow terms. Triage: a process on weather or not you've pissed your healer off today.  I personally love triage. It allows me to take my support role even further and pick who gets to live. Did that Mage in your guild throw down a port to Stonard instead of Orgimmar? Well he's dead! Have to choose between that guy everyone hates and the top dpser? Guess who died! Honestly though I like the fact that we can turn the tides of battle with one choice.


Yes I like the Y U NO guy. Deal with it B-)

3. Healing is boring!
 It was in some aspects in Wrath and Vanilla WoW, but it can also be loads of fun. I like having to make choices when I heal.  Is it boring when no one in your group takes large amounts of damage?  Yes  Is it boring when you can pull an entire heroic with all the bosses at once and AoE them down? (Lol H UK) No, I think that's fun. Can it be fun when the everyone is taking damage? Yes and No  Yes, because I have many aoe healing tools and I've been doing it for years. No, because I'm new to healing and feel overwhelmed. From my point of view healing is fun because of the people I play with. I have fun when I join the RDF (random dungeon finder) because you never know what type of players you will come across. If you find yourself bored with healing no matter what you do then healing isn't for you or you need to try a different healing class!


2. My gems don't matter so long as I just press my buttons.
 Call me an ass. Call me a nerd rager. Call me an Elitist but please please please stop with this. Gems MATTER!  Gemming correctly in many peoples eyes is just another aspect of playing the game.  Minmaxing your gems and spec can greatly increase your healing output. I've had hour long discussions about this. Sure, You can press your healing spells and so long as everyone lives what the point right? The point is if you don't know your class/spec inside and out you aren't playing to your max potential.What does that mean exactly? Well, if the 24 other people in your raid are gemmed, enchanted, glyphed and specced to minmax output then you are being CARRIED. I've seen people with Legendarys who aren't specced, gemmed or enchanted properly. This makes me sad. 

1. It's always your fault.
 No, its rarely the healers fault. The tank and dps are almost always the people to blame for the wipe. Tanks often never pay attention to mana bars and never check the healers gear. Dps classes like to pull aggro or walk into extra mobs. My favorite thing a dps or tank says when they die "No heals?!" They never notice that you are either oom or already dead due to lack of aggro gen or the hunter feign deathing adds to you. I will admit to being distracted and letting people die. I've even tabbed out mid fight to chat on aim. I've done some stupid shit but I always take the blame for it. Tanks and DPS rarely take the blame for doing stupid things. Just remember its not always your fault no matter what people say. 


Now that I have that out of the way. I just wanted to add that I bought a bag of skittles from a vending machine and I was so ready to taste the rainbow. There was only one problem. ALL OF THE SKITTLES WERE ORANGE AND GREEN! Last time I checked the rainbow had more than two colors. I want my 50 cents back.





No comments:

Post a Comment